Monday, October 13, 2014

Simple Mug Rugs

On this rainy, cold Monday, here is a nice little project that almost anyone can make quickly, and feel accomplished!  Besides, who wants to clean when you can be sewing instead, right?  Not me!  But I'll throw a load of laundry in the washer, so I accomplish some cleaning, and then head to the sewing room and create something pretty.
We always have a need for a simple housewarming or hostess gift, and mug rugs are a great idea.  I have had an old quilt top hanging around that is beyond repair, and recently I decided that it would become simple mug rugs.

I didn't even get creative with the shape...just cut 4 inch squares and began.  Here are the steps I used to make these simple mug rugs.


  1. Cut 4 inch squares of the quilt top (notice the calico fabrics), warm and natural batting and a printed fabric to use as backing.  (You can use any batting, but I like this best)
  2. Sandwich the 2 pieces of fabric right sides together, with the batting on the outside.   
  3. Sew around edges, leaving an opening to turn right side out.  
  4. Trim corners.
  5. Turn. 
  6. Top stitch twice...once a scant 8th of an inch from the edge, then at about a 3/8 inch in.


I need to get a bit better at photographing during the process, as well as at the finish.  But you can see that these mug rugs are nicely tied with a ribbon in sets of 4, ready to be given away as small hostess gifts.

2 comments:

  1. These are wonderful! You inspire me! My daughter has agreed to teach me how to sew and said that this would be a good project for me to try! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete